4.04.2005

Excitement From The Past: The Spinazzola Foundation Gala

Way back in January, I was lucky enough to play at the Spinazzola gala at (I think) the Seaport Hotel in Boston. (It's been a couple months and I can't remember if that's exactly where it was, but the exact location is not that important.) It was awesome: after we played, we got to sample food and wine from hundreds of different Boston and area restaurants and wineries. People plunked $250 to do this! And we got to eat for free! And in fact -- got paid for playing! Ah, the perks of being a musician. (FYI - all the money raised by this gala went to the Spinazzola Foundation)

Anyway, I just wanted to talk about a few wines that I tasted at the gala before I write about my trip to Missouri. I grabbed some pamphlets from each winery with the intent to discuss the wines with the Blue Room girls, but that never came to pass. In fact, we haven't been to see a movie and get wine in a while! What, what I ask, has happened???

I was truly impressed by the wine from Westport Rivers Vineyard and Winery. Nancy verified that it's true, this place is great!! I also enjoyed a champagne by Besserat de Bellefon called Cuvee des Moines. It was rated 89 by Wine Spectator, and described as "very vinous...shows apple and citrus flavors on a firm frame. Rich midpalate and crisp, with an airy texture and a lengthy finish." I can't really vouch for all those adjectives, but it was good; however, I will say that the free pink champagne that one time at the Blue Room definitely was better.

Here's one for the Not Alicia's Favorite List: Bernadus 2000 Marinus, Carmel Valley Red Wine. Just wasn't great. I also tried some wines from the Nashoba Valley Winery which were OK, but paled in comparison with the Westport wine. I think a field trip to Westport is in order!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home